For those of you who are in search of some new tunes, these are the songs I currently can't get out of my head.
1. Stereo Hands - The White Panda. A truly great mashup is one that improves on each of the songs it incorporates. As Borat might say, great success!
2. Never Let You Go - Chairlift and Violens. This is not only a very cool song, but it's a neat concept too. These guys made what is apparently called a "sgin", a song that is made to synch up to a music video made by someone else, in this case, Justin Bieber. Being a closet Bieber fan myself, this hit all the right chords for me. It takes a minute to load, but it's worth it.
3. Blame It - Jamie Foxx featuring T Pain. Yeah, I know, I'm behind the times on this one. Regardless, it's ever so catchy, both the original and the Glee version.
4. Your Love - Nicki Minaj. Many of you will probably have heard of Nicki Minaj, and she is quite the character indeed. A friend of mine recently saw her on Ellen, and apparently she has some kind of multiple personality thing going on. However, no one can deny that she is incredibly talented. It's not easy for female rappers (speaking from 100% experience), and she has something really cool going for her. If you like what you hear, also check out Super Bass. A really good example of her style is her appearance on Kanye's Monster, but you'll have to suppress any issues you have with that track's supremely anti-feminist tone before you can really enjoy it. Update: they seem to have yanked the Monster video from youtube, but if you do some digging I'm sure you can find it.
5. Last Friday Night - Katy Perry. I've already dedicated a full post to this song, so I'll keep this one short.
6. We Are the People - Empire of the Sun. You may be more familiar with Empire of the Sun's hit Walking on a Dream, and We Are the People could be called a variation on a theme. My love for them was guaranteed upon seeing their album cover - awesome just doesn't quite capture it - and then I saw some of their music videos. Seeing is believing with these guys. It's just too cool. Anyway, if you liked Walking on a Dream, you'll probably like We Are the People. Also, check out Without You for something a little more chill, and if you've been living under a rock for the last year and a half, definitely give the Wiz Khalifa remix of Walking on a Dream a listen.
We Are the People: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN5X4kGhAtU
Walking on a Dream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eimgRedLkkU
Without You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVarVeryQFo
Walking on a Dream Remix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0K2TsJJkCs